Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A Deliciously Affordable Bubbly


Well, affordable bubbly is something I am always on the lookout for. However, inexpensive Champagne is difficult to find, though it is possible. But, what about Cremants or other sparkling wines? Is it possible to find one? Well, as it turns out, yes.

-NV Jean-Francois Ganevat "La Combe" Rotalier Oh! Cremant du Jura
Well, that's a mouthful of a name, no? I have to say, however, this is quite a lovely mouthful of a wine as well. I wasn't expecting much, as I've had some pretty lousy Cremants from all over France, and I've never been a huge Cava fan, though I do like some Prosecco. Usually, I find many Cremants too sweet or rough for my taste, but this one is quite different.

First off, the nose is very floral, with lemon, green apples, and quartz/mineral accents, and it doesn't smell sweet or overworked like other Cremants. The bubbles are quite small and piquant, tickling the palate and not rough around the edges. Think Badoit mineral water as opposed to Perrier. On the palate, this wine offers similar notes, with some nutty aspects that are backed up by a very tart finish that goes on a relatively long time. I daresay if this were poured blind among some BdB Champagnes (this is 100% Chardonnay), it might hold its own or at the very least put in a good showing. Heck, at Day Two, it was still going, though the bubbles had faded but were perceptable on the tongue, and it became much more floral. Delicious with the sushi I ordered.

In other words, I really enjoyed this. It is made like traditional Champagne, by an organic winemaker named Jean-Francois Ganevat who also has very old vines on his property in the Jura. And of course, it's always a pleasure to find something this enjoyable. When you get that "A-ha" moment, there's the small thrill of victory against the seas of swill that are sold.

At a whopping $18/bottle by the case, this is quite the value.
Cheers!

No comments: