Friday, February 02, 2007

A Vinotas Selection: 2004 Roulot Bourgogne Blanc

Well, it's been a quiet January, so I figured I'd write something for February. It's a rainy and cold Friday night, I've had a bad week, so I opened something nice and uncomplicated. Surprise! It turned out even better than expected. Well, I can honestly say I am thrilled.

Oh, no affiliation, just a very appreciative customer. In fact, I just went out a bought a case.

-2004 Roulot Bourgogne Blanc

From a well regarded producer who regulary makes bottles that go for hundreds of dollars, this was a nice, affordable choice.

White flowers, soft apples, pears, lemons, hay drift up from the glass, as well as a quartzy stoniness. Crisp and precise on the palate, it offers a very energetic attack, full of spicy lemons that lead to a super searingly tart, surprisingly long and high-acid finish that seems to strip the enamel off my teeth. Yowsers! The finish goes on and on with almond and bacon accents, a nice way to round out the acidity of the mid and back palate.

This wine just wants to hang out in the mouth and fight it out, it's a youngster with nerve to spare.

Better yet, who said white Burgs had to be expensive? This beauty's only $24.99!

Cheers!

No comments: